The Texas Mother Friendly Program offers free recognition to companies that support women to express breastmilk while at the workplace.
This wonderful initiative supports our employees throughout their personal journeys as new mothers, and our WIC staff are able to present information about the program to your business. Below are companies in the Tyler area that are current Texas Mother Friendly Worksites:
- Northeast Texas Public Health District (NET Health) - All 20 WIC Offices throughout East Texas
- Region 4/5 North offices of the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- Texas Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) - 3 office locations in Tyler
- Tyler Regional Office of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT)
- St. Paul Childrens Services - Medical Clinic, Dental Clinic, and Foundation Offices
- Texas Parks & Wildlife - 6 office locations in the Tyler area
- CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances Hospital - Main Campus in Tyler
- Tyler Fire Department - Administrative Offices
- UT Health Tyler - Main Campus in Tyler
- Broadway Square Mall in Tyler
- University of Texas at Tyler
Many employers may already meet the criteria to qualify as a Mother Friendly Worksite and can receive this free recognition if they offer a written employee worksite lactation policy that includes the following:
- Flexible work scheudles that include breaks in work patterns to provide time for expression of milk
- Access to a private room, that is not a bathroom, for the purpose of milk expression
- Access to a nearby clean and safe water source and a sink for washing hands and rinsing out breast pump equipment
- Access to hygienic storage options for mothers to safely store breastmilk
Some of the benefits that are already evident from the free Texas Mother Friendly Program include:
A smoother transition back to work because the breastfeeding mother can nurse on demand.
The rate of absenteeism is reduced and employee retention is improved due to the mother’s high rate of overall contentment with her newborn by her side.
The staff member feels a higher sense of loyalty to her employer because her breastfeeding goals are valued.
As the mother reaps the benefits of a successful breastfeeding relationship, she talks openly with others about her experience in the program.
For more information regarding the “how-to’s” of this Mother-Friendly Worksite initiative, and to learn how your company can apply to become a Mother-Friendly Worksite, contact us by calling (903) 535 - 0020 or email us at [email protected].